On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, Erunantion wrote:
> Though speaking of the x & y coordinates, I've always had the same problem
> with them: namely, the coords appear, but don't clear the old coords upon
> mouse movement. They end up being a big mess of black. They still do this
> in the newest cvs of the 1.2 prerelease.

I managed to download everything and compile and install gimp 1.1.20.  I'm
NOT having the problem with the coordinates turning into a mess of black.
Installing gimp was a pain though.  I had to install/reinstall a whole mess of
libraries.  Maybe by installing newer versions of libraries, I avoided the
problem with the coordinates.  Here are my notes on what I did to install gimp:

Required packages:

        Available at www.freshmeat.net
                The Gimp Tool Kit.  A library for creating graphical user
                interfaces.  Requires glib-1.2.7.tar.gz
                Available at www.gtk.org
                        A support library of C routines for lists, hashes, memory
                        allocation and other things.
                        Available in the same place as gtk.
        Perl Extension:
                The Perl interface to Gtk.  The Gimp perl extension
                requires this.  Available at www.gtk.org. Requires PDL.
                Install gtk first.
                        PDL 1.9906 or higher (2.005 ok)
                                Perl Data Language.  Needed for perl scripts that do
                                manipulation.  Available at www.CPAN.org
                                At CPAN, you will have to download whatever else it
        imlib 1.9.7
                The Image files libraries.  If they are not installed,
                go get them. Search lycos for "imlib"
                This is needed for lots of things.  It will also
                generate libgdk_imlib*
1.      Ensure that all traces of libgimp, libgtk and libglib are removed
        from /usr/lib and /usr/include AND /usr/bin (gtk-config).
        Remove old man pages from /usr/man: man1, rm gtk* gdk*
        This isn't too important if you install everything
                this way, it will add to/replace old stuff.

2. Install glib
                cd glib-1.2.7
                ./configure --prefix=/usr
                make install
                Check for /usr/bin/glib-config

3.      Install PDL.

        Install whatever PDL depends on first: ExtUtils::F77 and File::Spec
        (available at www.cpan.org)
                        perl Makefile.PL
                        make test
                        make install
        cd PDL-2.005
        perl Makefile.PL
                        Note: it will look for OpenGL/Mesa3D/GLu etc libraries.
                        Make sure they are either not installed or installed
                        correctly.  If it finds /usr/include/GL it will think
                        its installed.  If OpenGL is not installed right, then
                        edit the config file and disable opengl.
        make test
        make install

4.      Install gtk/gdk

        cd gtk+-1.2.7
        ./configure --prefix=/usr
        make install
        Check for /usr/bin/gtk-config
5.      Install Imlib 1.9.7

        cd imlib-1.9.7
        ./configure --prefix=/usr
                Note: If it fails to find gdk and you just install it,
                then you might need to run
                        rm config.cache
        make install
6.      Install the Gtk-Perl interface.
        perl Makefile.PL
        make test
        make install
7.      Install gimp.

        cd gimp-1.1.20
        ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/gimp
                        GtkXMHTML may not be found.  You have to download
                        the gnome-libs-1.x.x.tar.gz package to obtain it.
                        It is available at www.gnome.org
                        (I had to do this because I deleted my old ones)
                                cd gnome-libs-1.x.x
                                ./configure --prefix=/usr
                                make install
        make install