you might want to try looking at these pages:

there is a general MJPEG capture driver based on Zoran chips that is
coming about.  I think the ones for the IOmega Buz and the LML33 are the
most develped (AFAIK)...and the ones for the Matrox Marvel and Rainbow
Runner are coming about rather quickly.

I know that you can do what you want to do with the Buz and either Gernot
Zieglers Buz tools or Rainer  Johanni's lavtools.  both are stable and
work at SVHS quality.

a buz will cost you about 150-200 US dollars I think....that is, if you
can find one.  It has video input and output.  Adding sound like you want
to is also possible.

otherwise, you can look here for more info on frame grabbers: