On Sun, 14 May 2000, Per Pettersson wrote:
> I have a newbie font question which I like to have solved.
> I want to install windos fonts (.ttf or something) but I havent figured it
> out yet by myself how to do that. I sincerely hope that someone knows this
> out there.
Hi Per,
Basically to use windows ttf fonts you can follow the following steps:
1.- Install a True Type Font Server. I would suggest "xfstt".
    I do not know which distribution are you using but you can find it
a freshmeat or any other of the popular packages places.
2.- Create a directory for copying your favourite TTF files.
    (e.g. /usr/ttfonts)
    I think it will possible to make a symlink of a Windows partition,
where the original files are located but I have not tried it yet.
3.- Run `xfstt sync` to load the fonts.
4.- Start xfstt in background:  xfstt &
5.- xset +fp unix/:7100   (Set the X for the fonts)
6.- Add the following line to your /etc/XF86Config file, at the section
    Files:     FontPath  "unix/:7100"

Then start the X, and Gimp.
After starting Gimp, you can go to the Text dialog box and see TTF there.

I hope it works for your. It did for me.

Best regards,

Javi,         _____           [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                |             http://www.europa3.com/users/fjherna/
     \_____(X)_(_)_(X)_____/  http://www.valux.org/