I would recommend you lear LaTex.  For document preparation nothing comes
close to its flexibility.  I used this many years ago to do University
papers. This "language" gives you full typesetting ability and allows for
almost precise image placement.  I haven't used the Linux version of LaTex
but have been told it works very well and has enhancements since my use in
the early 90s.

Good luck.