You wrote on Son, 28 Mai 2000:
>Hey list
>I have a little annoying problem. When I use the 'find-scanner' command
>I get the following:
>find-scanner: found scanner "SCANNER  2.02" at device /dev/scanner
>find-scanner: found processor "HP C5100A R032" at device /dev/sg0
>find-scanner: found scanner "SCANNER  2.02" at device /dev/sg2
>find-scanner: found processor "HP C5100A R032" at device /dev/sga
>find-scanner: found scanner "SCANNER  2.02" at device /dev/sgc
>I have a HP - Photo smart slide-scanner on a SCSI card, and a Mustek
>12000SP on another SCSI card.
>But why the difference between processor and scanner, and why do it find
>2 adresses for the HP, and 3 for the Mustek?

From your description I guess you are using linux 2.2.x, right?

To access scanners there are the generic SCSI devices (sg = scsi
generic) formerly named /dev/sg[a-z] and now called /dev/sg[1-90]+[1-90]
sga -> sg0
sgb -> sg1 and so on
The numbers are the ordinal of the scsi device.  If you make a
cat /proc/scsi/scsi
and count from 0 each scsi-device you get the exact generic number.  And to
ease handling this (each new device before your scanner changes it's
generic name (huh :-() you can provide a symbolic link
/dev/scanner -> /dev/sg2
Then -- if the ordinal number changes -- you only have to change this link
and not the configuration of possibly many programs.

>When I acquire a scan from the Gimp menu, I get the posibility to use 1
>HP and 2 Mustek's - and no difference betwene the two.

I think sane knows that sga == sg0 but not scanner == sg2.

>Can I delete one of the adresses in the /dev - directory? and which is
>to prefer?

You can safely delete all /dev/sg[a-z].  For more information look at your
linux source documentation
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/devices.txt

Most distributions use the sga naming scheme, despite the fact that it
limits the generic scsi devices to a number of 26.  So if your system has
both and the sg0 and Co. are symlinks you (if you want a standard system)
have to delete all sg* and make a new set with
  declare -i i=0
  while [ $i -lt 16 ]
  do
    mknod /dev/sg$i 21 $i