On Mon, 12 Jun 2000, Marc Lehmann wrote:

> You can set any refresh rate and resolution your hardware and software
> allows, in both xfree 3 and 4. Just edit your XF86Config and adjust the
> modelines.

Yes but this would involve knowing exactly how to come up with the right
modeline.  A single typo here can fry a monitor.

> xfree4 can make use of ddc, and most monitors underestimate their
> powers. For example, I have a very hard time of getting anything better
> than 70hz under windows. Without the matrox control panel I can't even
> force refresh settings, so windows is by far worse than linux :|

I have a hard believing this as Windows, for 90% of video manufacturers, has
incredible video support and changing refresh rates is very easy.  Select
the refresh rate you want from a drop down list.

Don't get me wrong I can't stand Windows and hate Microsoft's arrogance more
than most people.  But I cannot fault them on their suppor/configuration
when it comes to video and only wish that setting up my monitor under Xfree
were as easy.
My ADI monitor has an LED that show what mode it is in and I have much wider
range of choices under Windows than I do under Xfree.

Luc Bouchard
Nepean, ON, Canada