>> IIRC there is a X server that fakes that. It works as normal X, but never
>> shows anything anywhere. Xvfb maybe? And of course, VNC.
>..but this would stop normal X running on the machine - need a solution
>that allows the script to run every hour - whether I'm logged in, or not.

Why would X stop? I do not understand the problem. I have machines running 3
normal X sessions (one in its video card, two remote) plus a VNC X session.
And for fun I luanched 3 X one day (weird thing, I know, but the only way to
test a thing is trying it, like "how many xterminals can I open?").

GSR