If it's still not working then check you have:

glib-1.2.8
gtk+-1.2.8
gimp-1.1.24
gimp-data-extras-1.2.20

I expect you always install this stuff from sources.  You are best puting sources in
/usr/src
according to convention.

Have you updated any of the complier?  If you have make sure that the old stuff is
removed, you
can use --prefix=<DIR> on ./configure or make normally if you want to place software
in a
directory other than /usr/local/

Hope this helps, but I doubt it.  Tell me how you get on though.

OT: I'm trying to compile a system from scratch, does anyone know an up to date but
complete base
system for compiling the basic system software.  I've broken/abused much of my current
install,
and can't compile the nescesary software.  I'm using the Linux-from-scratch HOWTO.
Thanks.

Jonathan Paton