If it's still not working then check you have:

I expect you always install this stuff from sources.  You are best puting sources in
according to convention.

Have you updated any of the complier?  If you have make sure that the old stuff is
removed, you
can use --prefix=<DIR> on ./configure or make normally if you want to place software
in a
directory other than /usr/local/

Hope this helps, but I doubt it.  Tell me how you get on though.

OT: I'm trying to compile a system from scratch, does anyone know an up to date but
complete base
system for compiling the basic system software.  I've broken/abused much of my current
and can't compile the nescesary software.  I'm using the Linux-from-scratch HOWTO.

Jonathan Paton

Do You Yahoo!?