On Fri, 7 Jul 2000, Rick Rosinski wrote:

> Here is an error I get when loading gimp.  It occurs many times until Gimp is
> finally loaded.
> * * WARNING **: gimp:  wire_read: unexpected EOF
> perl:  error in loading shared libraries:
> /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/i386-linux/ao/Gimp/Lib/Lib.so: undefined symbol:
> gimp_procedural_db_proc_info

I had the same some time ago. I installed some perl libs, reinstalled
(maybe not even necessary) and then it worked. Alas, I don't remember
exectly the libs. Something like

ii  libparse-recdescent-perl       1.77-1                         Generates
recursive-descent parsers in Perl
ii  pdl                            2.005-4                        The perl data

addidionally to the perl-base stuff naturally.
You can also build gimp w/o perl which will remove your error messages,
but then you've no perl support :-(