>A quick question - is there a tool which provides a visual interface for
>writing Script-fu's ?

Emacs is a good tool to type them. Then save (do not close emacs), hit
"Refresh" in Gimp Script-fu menu (no need to restart Gimp), and try your
script. That is what I did.

>I have just started to look at creating Script-fu's in the GIMP manual, and
>it seems to me that keying in all of those commands by hand would be
>extremely tedious.

The console is nice to debug them, but not to do full script development
(IMO). I doubt anybody uses it beyond testing some lines of code or fix
something, like erasing "hang" images or layers (does anybody do more than
that? am I the "rare"?).