it depends on how good the original photo is. Are you scanning it directly
from slide? negative? or you scan it from print? GIMP should help some,
but no miracles here (unless you are a real good painter, and you can
"create" something that not originally there, but it is no longer called
"retouch" anymore), the old saying "garbage in, garbage out" still holds.

the following link, titled "photo touch up and enhancement in the GIMP"
should cover the basic stuff.

hope this helps