here is a simple shell script that i use

---- install-gimp.sh

#!/bin/sh

date |tee build-start;

make distclean

./configure --prefix=/opt/gimp/gimp-1.1.24 \
--enable-gimpdir=.gimp-1.1.24 --enable-python |tee configure.out; \
make |tee make.out; date |tee build-end;

make install |tee make.install.out

echo "build start time"; cat build-start;
echo "build end time "; cat build-end

---------
note the --enable-gimpdir option that sets the users
preferences up in a different directory than other versions.
I find this to be handy ;)

On Thu, Jul 06, 2000 at 06:01:43PM -0500, Mike Dobbs wrote:
> Does anyone know how to get gimp installed and running happy in it's own
> direcory without using /usr/local.  I have installed it useing the prefix
> option, but it still continues to look in /usr/local for the rcfiles and
> user_install.
> thanks
Thanks,
Jeff

| Do not try to cut your own hair.       |
|                       -- Forrest Gump  |
|                       -- Winston Groom |
| Jeff Sheffield                         |
| [EMAIL PROTECTED]               |
|  - http://buzzard.kdi.com/jeff/family/ |
|  - http://www.team-linux.com/          |