I'm new to the Gimp, and I was reading the online
version of "Grokking the GIMP" and noticed that my
version is missing several things described in the
book.  For example,  There are no thumbnail previews in
the "File->Open" dialog; no resolution options in the
"File->New" dialog; no "Auto" button in the
"Layers->Layers and Channels" dialog.  There may be
more, I just haven't found them yet.

I'm running version 1.0.4-7 on RedHat 6.2.  I installed
via the RPM that came with RH, and haven't had any other

Will I have to recompile to get those options, or is
there a trick to getting them to show up?

Ben Logan

Why not just do it...