Sent: Wednesday, 12 July 2000 2:07 AM
Subject: Re: Two How-to Questions

Andrew J Fortune wrote:
> Alex.
> Thanks for replying. I'm not sure how to reword the first question - so
> try to give an example....
> Suppose you select the pencil tool, go into GFig and draw a geometric star
> and then press the Paint button to draw it on the canvas of the current
> have created a closed "path" in the shape of a star....
> How do you then turn that into a selection so that any operations that you
> perform after that is constrained to the boundaries of the star that you
> have drawn ?
> Note that this is only an example - I am looking for a generic solution
> would apply to any closed path that you draw on the canvas.

Aha... then you would be talking about Paths being automatically
created, something that isn't implemented yet.  Care to do some coding?
:)  I would do what Ian wrote, use the Fuzzy Select tool (similar to the
Magic Wand) to get the outline, and then used the Free Select tool with
the Shift key to add the two selections together.

Alex Harford
Author of "GIMP Essential Reference"