>> Did you tried the SUBmarine tactic? Alt+SysReq+S (sync disks), wait until
>windows?  linux?  freeeeebsd?

Sorry, Linux (option in 2.2 and up, can be disabled, even if you compiled,
it via /proc, so check you have compiled and enabled). FreeBSD, if not does
something like that, should too (in the same way that Linux and FreeBSD
share the idea of virtual consoles, which is great).

With MS Windows... well, no comments, each day I wonder where is the
console, or the virtual desktop, or why I can not have two GUI at the same
time. The best you can do with MS Windows is Ctrl+Alt+Del and pray so it
allows you to close the app or something. ;]