On Sat, 5 Aug 2000, dave wrote:

> I've been using gimp for a short while now, and the one problem that
> keeps
> coming up is when I convert an RGB image to indexed, to save as a gif
> with a transparent background.
>
> I (think I) understand the issues with converting RGB colour to
> indexed, but what I don't understand is that I always seem to lose
> quality too (I guess that's somehow also a colour problem?)
>
> Even if I do nice simple fonts, in black, on a transparent background,
> I lose quality of the fonts on converting to indexed. I either lose
> nice smooth edges, or pixels within narrow parts of small fonts, or
> both.
>
> Why is this, and is there anything I can do about it? I need to do a
> lot of simple colour fonts with transparent backgrounds, so this is a
> real problem for me.
>
> many thanks
> Dave

Since we are on topic of transperency----I use gimp-perl for scripting to
draw several types of charts my main problem was to add a gif comment
which is not possible by using gimp-1.1 so I came across Giftrans
which allows me to add a comment as well as make the Image transperent
with out the loss to the quality of the image.

Any comments

Chetan