From: Jonathan E. Paton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, August 12, 2000 8:19 PM
Subject: Re: The GIMP v1.1.24 Installation Saga Continues.....

Someone's said it before, but try:

gtk-config --version

It should return 1.2.8, but if it doesn't then try:

type gtk-config

Which should return the directory the gtk-config script appears in.  If you
compiled it yourself
then it usually appears in /usr/local/bin.  If you want to know if you've
got multiple versions
then use:

find '/' -name 'gtk-config'

The gtk-config script IS NEEDED for gcc to compile the gimp with the gtk
library. Just type
'gtk-config' to see the information it returns.  --cflags and --lib return
information needed by
gcc to use the library.  Hardly the best description, somebody please
explain it better.

When compiling programs your host option should be (For ./configure):

--host i486-linux-libc5

How do I know that?  Look at the 'irrelevent' bit on your 17.28 Fri 11 Aug
post.  I recommend you
check again in /etc/ld.so.conf, since you re-installed.  Remember to run
'ldconfig' after each
library you compile, or it'll still see the old version.

It's maybe time to clarify your sucesses and failures, since we've seen
dozens of emails on your
problem - and I've lost track of where we are.

Jonathan Paton

Do You Yahoo!?