Hi Andrew,

Whilst in the act of checking whether the packages have updated correctly, try these

gtkmm-config --version   (I have 1.2.0) - GTK C++ extensions
glib-config --version    (I have 1.2.8)

I'm surprised your having so much difficulty, I personally never bother with RPM's
instead I use
the sources.  Like you I have little experience, but usually if you have a good base
system it
works nicely.  Usually its a case of './configure', 'make', 'make install' and then
(libs only).

I know how you feel, I tried the LinuxFromScratch-HOWTO, and failed.  My base system
isn't new
enough to compile all the things I need, so I've tried to update the compiler and so
on.  It ain't
easy, and you soon get lost when things don't work.  Rather similar to your

I'm listening.

Jonathan Paton

Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Mail  Free email you can access from anywhere!