I happen to have the exact same problem as mr. Fortune has. When running
./configure, I get an error message stating I have gtk+ 1.2.6 installed. I
have installed gtk+ 1.2.8, glib 1.2.8 and I have done a ldconfig. Still,
when running gtk-config --version, it responds 1.2.6. When searching, I only
find one gtk-config, in /usr/bin. BTW, I am what you call a very
inexperienced compiler. I have been running linux (red hat 6.2) about a
week. Could you please help me with this, if possible?

                                                         Thanks, Simon.