James Smaby wrote:
> Is it just me, or are these CubicDesign tutorials a little too
> close to porn howtos?

If you've ever done any portrait work you appriciate any and all
techniques that can be used to smooth out skin, reduce wrinkles, remove
unwanted hair and blemishes.  Look at the covers of the magazines next
time you're at the store... I know models have pores in real life... But
you wouldn't know it looking at the magazines.

> Must the object of the image touchup be
> a large breasted model?

I've got no comment on that point.  Seems like the author of the
tutorial chose tasteful images that work well for the techniques being
covered.  There is nothing obscene about women in bikinis.

> I don't know about most people, but I
> don't really want people thinking I'm looking at porn when I'm
> really reading about one of these tutorials.

I'm confident that nobody in my office would mistake those tutorials for
pornography.  Folks in my office also know its rude to snoop over each
others shoulders trying to spy whats on screen.

If folks in your office make a habit of scoping your monitor I suggest
you invest in a pair of mirrors:

> Perhaps somthing
> a little safer next time, like a bowl of fruit or a house.

How exactly were those images dangerous?

> Am
> I too nieve to think that half-naked pictures are not the best
> thing to use as examples?

Um... Yes.  If you find yourself becoming aroused and uncomfortable by
those images you should shut down your browser.  (avoid internet
surfing, watching television and looking directly at the magazine rack
in the grocery store)

> If a person is necessary (like when
> flesh tones are required as in the latest tutorial), a closeup
> shot of Clinton or Gates might make a better picture (no, I do
> not want to see them in a bikini (although that might make for
> a funny tutorial), I mean a closeup of thier face).

No matter where you're at in the world you're entitled to your opinion
and I'm certain you have your reasons but given the choice I would
choose a beautiful woman in a bikini over an ugly old man.

> According
> to a slashdot observation, apache is the http server of choice
> of the porn industry; is the gimp the image editor of choice?

WTF does that have to do with anything?  You could replicate the effects
demonstrated in those tutorials any decent image editor.

I thought the tutorials were great and I will use the stuff I learned
when photographing my family and friends.
Jon Winters  http://www.obscurasite.com/jon/

   "Everybody Loves The GIMP!"