fat fingers does it again.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bunch, Al
Sent: Tuesday, August 22, 2000 11:02 AM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Cc: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: FW: button-like effect

I don't know if you got this one or not - just for general benefit though,
here's a copy for the list as well as an example.  Let me know if it meets
your needs - BTW, it doesn't use bump mapping.

<COPY OF ORIGINAL MESSAGE FOLLOWS>

Not sure if this is what you're looking for but try this:

open image
select all (ctrl+a)
right click -> select -> shrink (10 pixels seems to work well for most
images)
feather (shift+ctrl+f) (5 pixels for this image - if you don't feather it
will give you a hard edge - try both ways)
invert (ctrl+i)
select the dodge/burn tool (looks like a dark magnifying glass) and select a
caligraphic brush (any one will do but these seem easier to work with)
open the tool options and select burn, exposure 100, opacity 100, mode
highlights
use the brush to trace the bottom and right hand selected areas
when you start doing this you'll understand immediately what needs to be
done - keep in mind that while holding down the mouse button that you can
only burn so much - to make it darker, release and re-trace the same area.
to make the light portion select dodge and trace the top and left sides.

Here's a sample I just did - I yanked the picture off a website and did
these exact steps.

The original picture is on www.aci-hydrophonics.com in case you're curious
as to what it looked like before I got ahold of it.

basketa.jpg