On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, Jon K Anderson wrote:

> when using scanned images the best quality result does not come from
> scanning the image in at the highest possible resolution.  Rather one
> should scan it only to the resolution that you really need.  Maybe next
> time.

i usually scan at twice the res i intend to use it...

> The gimp manual also mentions a poor man's way to calibrate your
> monitor.  It sounds like a good idea but I still don't understand where
> one can download famous logo colors from the web.  (Surely not from gif
> files.)  Maybe if someone out there has done this they can describe it
> more or provide some links.  Knowing that my monitor is not calibrated,

http://www.scarse.org/
http://www.scarse.org/adjust/
http://www.scarse.org/links.html

ive been using the calibration tiff that came with photoshop 3, printing
it out and then adjusting my monitor to match it everytime i did print
work. any pic with lots of colors (like a photograph) and blocks of solid
colors to work off will work.

> That is all I have for now.  Maybe I will have more when the CD's arrive
> in the mail.  I hope it helps somebody.

i learned some things from your post, so yes, it did help somebody.
thanks.