Hi all,
I've been exploring the more advanced aspects of Gimp (well more advanced than
Paintbrush anyhow).

I think I've got the right end of the stick when it comes to channels as a method of
storing selections for later use. However I've across a problem/feature I can't think
of a way to work around.

1). Take a picture, select an area (such a sports car) and convert this to a channel -
great works fine.
2). Deselect area (as if you're doing something else) and use channels to restore
selection, cut and paste - I now have the selection as a floating selection.
3). Move/Rotate/Scale the selection to a different area of picture, I want to save
this new selection/position to another channel so I can do work with it later - but I
can't seem to do it.

Whilst the selection is floating the 'convert to channel' is greyed out, and as soon
as I defloat to current or new layer I lose my selection.

Anyone have any workarounds??

Simon Wood
PS. If you believe what you see, my other three cars are also Porsches ;-)

PPS. Guilt has the better of me.... I really drive a Daewoo
Simon Wood

Hardware Engineer
Pace Micro Technology plc
Victoria Road, Saltaire, Shipley
West Yorkshire, BD18 3LF
Tel : +44(0)1274 532000  Fax: +44(0)1274 532029

This E-Mail and any attachments hereto are strictly confidential and intended solely
for the addressee. If you are not the intended addressee please notify the sender by
return and delete the message. You must not disclose, forward or copy this E-mail or
attachments to any third party without the prior consent of the sender.