Thanks for offering help.

I have Since posting that letter, I have had an instance in which the
gimp will alter the hue and saturation.  This instance is when a pattern
fill is applied to the layer.  It is not working on black or white
layers.  Alpha or not.  It is frustrating.

I have two computers.  I haven't gotten X up on the new one, but they
are networked and I use the display from the old one.  (I need a new
graphics card.)  Treva is the new and bigger computer.  Virgil is
smaller and has a good graphics card.

STDERR on Virgil just showed me an eth0 problem.  Links to the other
files are:

1.  dmesg.treva (3 KB)
    http://i6.yimg.com/6/e7afa96b/h/ad02f3a8/dmesg.treva

2.  stderr.treva (3 KB)