Thank you, Alan.  I'm well aware of the gif image spec.  I don't think
that's the problem but I appreciate the response.

On Mon, 11 Sep 2000, Alan Buxey wrote:

> hi,
>
> > I know I saw a thread on this earlier today but I seem to have deleted
> > it...
> >
> > My intern has a helix-code load of gimp 1.1.24.  He tries to save gifs and
> > gets "unknown file type" errors.  I'm not sure if he's missing a library
> > or if gimp no longer supports gifs due to the Unysis patent issues.  If
> > someone could enlighten me, we'd both be happy!
>
> you must change the imag format to 'indexed' before you can save as GIF
>
> alan

--Ames
      "EVIL.  It's just LOVE spelled backwards and wrong."
Amy L. Abascal                                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Web Design Chic, VA Linux Systems                  www.valinux.com
Web Design Chic, Silicon Valley Linux Users Group    www.svlug.com