I have been scanning photos with a flat-bed scanner, then
cropping each picture in the scan into separate files.
When I saved the separate files, I moved the compression-quality
to 1.00 (replacing the default .75), hoping that  I would not loose
any more quality.  I was not sure if saving a file multiple times with
.75 would continuously degrade the image.  I figured that I  would
wait until all of my modifications are done for each image before
I save the final image to .80 quality.  But, I am finding that my
disk space is drastically declining.

My question is:

Can I crop the images into separate files, saving them at
.80 quality, then do modifications and save them again (into a
separate file *.modified.jpg) at .80 quality without loosing
quality after each save?

Thanks alot for all of your help.

Rick Rosinski