----- Original Message -----
From: Rick Rosinski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Gimp User Group <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, September 20, 2000 11:47 PM
Subject: Simple jpg question

> I have been scanning photos with a flat-bed scanner, then
> cropping each picture in the scan into separate files.
> When I saved the separate files, I moved the compression-quality
> to 1.00 (replacing the default .75), hoping that  I would not loose
> any more quality.  I was not sure if saving a file multiple times with
> .75 would continuously degrade the image.  I figured that I  would
> wait until all of my modifications are done for each image before
> I save the final image to .80 quality.  But, I am finding that my
> disk space is drastically declining.
>
> My question is:
>
> Can I crop the images into separate files, saving them at
> .80 quality, then do modifications and save them again (into a
> separate file *.modified.jpg) at .80 quality without loosing
> quality after each save?

I believe the answer is no. Each time you save the image you encode it so
each time you loose quality. Depending on what you are going to do with the
final output it may not matter, though. If it's going to go to press then
probably you want high quality. For the web I wouldn't worry too much.

--Ben