On Wed, 20 Sep 2000, Rick Rosinski wrote:

> My question is:
> Can I crop the images into separate files, saving them at
> .80 quality, then do modifications and save them again (into a
> separate file *.modified.jpg) at .80 quality without loosing
> quality after each save?

I'm about to scan some images today!  I'll save the scan of all the images
as one uncompressed TIFF and FTP it to my linux box at home.  When I get
home tonight I'll open the large image and cut it up into the smaller
images.  I'll save each one as a .xcf.gz because I want good quality
copies. (pristine without any compression damage)

Over the weekend I'll prep each image for the web site and save'em as
.jpg.  Later on, if my client asks me to modify one I'll return to the
.xcf.gz version because it has never been JPEGed and it has no damage.

This is the preferred way of doing things... NEVER compress an image thet
you plan on editing in the future.  Lossy compression should be the very
last step before you publish an image.

I do make an exception when I use my digital camera. I have a Nikon
Coolpix 950 and it will shoot in an uncompressed TIFF format but the
images are 5MB each and my 36MB compact flash card fills up fast.

Until I can afford to buy a large 200MB compact flash card I'm shooting in
"fine" mode.  (full resolution JPEG with minimal compression) In
"fine" mode the images are around 700Kb.

If I do anything to edit one of the digicam images I revert to the .xcf.gz
/ .jpg system described above.

Hope this helps.
Jon Winters http://www.obscurasite.com/

   "Everybody loves the GIMP!"