> > They are not zip SFX, they are Win32 code. I had the bad habbot of
> > using "file" command with everything.
> I recall using DOS pkunzip to unzip a sfx made with WinZIP
> (*cough*); if I ran the .exe it said, it was created with
> winzip and that I needed Windows.  But good 'ol pkunzip
> did it under DOS anyway.

once again, the Windows 9x installers are not SFX ZIP's. They have a
custom wrapper/wraparound and use Win9x compression classes. There are
several individuals working on having a 'Win installer' reader program on
alternative platforms...until then, yes, Bochs/VMWARE/Wine is the only
solution if you are, like me, a Linux-only-on-PC user