I just tried installing the latest gimp (1.1.28).  The configure
and make appeared to work just fine, but when I try to run the
I get the following error message:

        LibGimp-ERROR **: could not find handler for message: 12
        app/gimp terminated: Aborted

followed by

        [jeff@thoth gimp-1.1.27]$
        ** WARNING **: script-fu: wire_read: unexpected EOF

Note that the gimp starts loading properly, the splash screen
comes up,
the progress bar shows loading all the goodies, the toolbox and
window get realized, and then it all vanishes with the errors
I'm running a RedHat 6.1, upgraded with Helix-Gnome 1.2 back in
Recently upgraded to Perl-5.6.

The gimp-1.1.23 tarball still compiles, installs, and works
fine, but both
1.1.28 and 1.1.27 give me the error above.

Anybody have any ideas what I'm missing?  Or how to track down
the problem?