Ok here is what i think your source of confusion is.
The "background" layer is always just that.

I.e. when you create 1 new layer you cannot move it under the
background layer.
However if you create 2 new layers "layer 1" and "layer 2"
respectively. You can move "layer 2" under "layer 1",
or put another way... you could move "layer 1" over "layer 2"
but you cannot put either layer under the background layer ;)

On Mon, Oct 23, 2000 at 04:48:45PM +0200, COUTIER Eric wrote:
> Hello everybody,
> I've noted that the original layer is impossible to move. When you click on
> the layer in the layers window, the "bottom" and "top" arrow are grayed
> (even if you've created another layer in the image after). The only way i've
> found to can move this layer is to duplicate it then delete it. The same
> thing occur in Paint Shop Pro but when you rename the original layer (for
> example from "background" to "toto layer"), then you can move this layer.
> Perhaps it's a good idea, no ?

| I think there is a world market for maybe five computers. |
|                   -- Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943 |
| Jeff Sheffield                                            |
| [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                        |