>    GSystemThread owner;

Okay, here's an interesting thing, I did a
cat glib.h | grep GSystemThread

And guess what, It shows up once in the whole glib.h file.  Strange
wouldn't you say?  I'm no programmer (not yet anyway) but I'd think one
would define or aforemention this thing or whatever it is, before one
coulde use it? so guess what i did.  I commented out this line and make
ran fine.  Hopefully, it isn't a necessary component or anything.

I tried using the suggestions I got here on the list, but I got stranger
results. I also was able to configure and compile gtk+1.3.1. From there
compiling gimp 1.1.28 was a breeze.