On Tue, Nov 28, 2000 at 04:42:23AM +0100, Robert Urban <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> and writing to a file, I view the new file using ghostscript.  The result
> is always rotten-looking, at though it had somehow been dithered.

that's because ghostscript does exactly that, as it simulates a
printer. Try png or ppm output for ghostscript and it will improve. Or
print it, as this is what postscript was designed for.

postscript is not really a lossless image file format

> What can I do to get rid of this dithered look?

don't use postscript to view your images. at least don't use the x11
driver of ghostscript.