I capture screen shots with SnagIt, edit in Gimp, and save as TIFF.
(Aside: Gimp insists on including the 'Made by Gimp' comment even though
preferences are set for NOTHING.)  FrameMaker cannot open Gimp TIFF and
neither can several pixmap editors.  So I use Graphics Workshop to convert
Gimp TIFF to (obviously) some other TIFF variant that the rest of the known
universe can recognise.  And, guess what, Gimp cannot read Graphics
Workshop TIFF.

Any clues, workarounds, preferences, or whatever for this?

Also, clicking the LZW Compression checkbox in the Save As dialogue gives
an error message saying that no LZW is available.  Do I have to download
some plugins or whatever for this functionality?

Finally, a weensy gripe.  Why is the file browser so ssssslloooooowwwww?
You click a subdirectory or a parent directory, wonder if you missed the
target, whooops! after pondering Gimp has decided to recognise your first
click and act on it, your second click hits some other directory (usually a
drive letter, just to take you back to the top to get you really mad!).  I
know it's written in Scheme/Lisp, but really, isn't finding a directory a
little easier than convolving a 23 Mb graphic?

[Windows 2000, GIMP v 1.1.24 (Kimball & Mattis port), FrameMaker v
Hedley Finger
Technical Communications/Technical communicator and FrameMaker mentor
MYOB Australia <>
P.O. box 371   Blackburn VIC 3130   Australia
Tel. +61 3 9894 0945
Mob. +61 412 461 558