> I think there are some tools for converting a RPM package to
> Debian deb's.

The Debian package is called alien.  But if you're looking for a Debian
package for the GIMP 1.2, just find a local unstable mirror and do:

    # apt-get update
    # apt-get install gimp1.2 gimp1.2-perl

These packages worked great for me, but I've been tracking unstable
fairly closely for years now, so if you're still using potato, YMMV.

Chris
--
Christopher S. Swingley         930 Koyukuk Drive
System / Network Manager        University of Alaska Fairbanks

phone: 907-474-2689             fax: 907-474-2643
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]    GNUPG and PGP2 keys at my web site
  web: http://www.frontier.iarc.uaf.edu/~cswingle