On Sun, Jan 14, 2001 at 08:04:09PM +0100, "Guillermo S. Romero / Familia Romero"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Gimp uses dirs with version so you can mix installs or it does not

This is not true,a nd far from easy in practise. Any binaries installed
overwrite the older ones, so you need to use a different prefix use do
rename orgies. Also, all components that are callable from outside (e..g
perl) need to be speciall trated (modifications to your profile are needed
as well as different configure options).

(are we still using the ugly-but-maybe-necessary ~/.gimp-version
convention?).

Last not least, it is usually impossible to cleanly share different
versions of gtk+ on the same host, as long as one of the prefixes that
gtk+ uses coincide with prefixes where other programs (perl, libtiff
etc..) are installed (e.g. /usr/gtk12 /usr/gtk13 is usually ok). This is a
libtool limitation/an artifact of gtk-config.

The same is true for gimp.

So, people, don't try this at home unless you really know how to fix the
resultant problems.