First thing to do is make sure you have an alpha channel: right-click,
image, alpha, add alpha channel. If this option is greyed out, you
already have an alpha channel. Second, you select the region you want to
remove. You can use select, by color for this, or with the various
selection tools (circle, square, hand-drawn, contigious regions, ...).
Then press Ctrl-C to cut out the selected region, and the rest will be
Your flattening problem/black bg in ie is probably related to not having
an alpha channel. Flattening an image merges all layers, and removes the
alpha channel (no more transparancy).
Hope this helps.

On Thu, Feb 08, 2001 at 11:59:03AM +0200, Gerhardus Geldenhuis wrote:
> I have a big logo which I have resized. Now I need to make the white transparent.
> Is there a easy way to do this. At the moment I copy the picture and paste it
> My second problem is that when I save it to png and open it with IE5/NC the
> transparent displays black also when I flatten the image the transparency
> becomes
> black. How do I get a picture to display transparent in IE5 and what does
> flattening a image acctually do.

"Life's not fair, but the root password helps." -BOFH