I just checked my source just to make sure -- I haven't had to install
the gimp-perl package since 1.1.29 (actually 1.1.24, but I was never
able to get it to work).

All of the Gimp Perl stuff comes with the package now.  When I got the
PDL (I was installing in a brand new distribution installation) I got
the PDL and that ResDe---nt doey and all of my perl configuration and
make errors went away and I had a working perlotine and center guide,
etc.

I would like to know how to install all of this without the PDL as my
space is somewhat limited.