Perhaps a separate environment repository where configs specific to the
environment get overwritten during the "build" process using rsync.

e.g. I have Test, Prod, Dev branches in a project.  Each environment has
specific files which need to be tracked but must be different across all.
So I have a config repository as a git submodule with the following
structure...

env-config/Test/Robots.txt
env-config/Prod/Robots.txt
env-config/Dev/Robots.txt

In each env-config/<environment> it matches the directory structure of my
repository so I can simply do the following to overwrite during the build
process...

rsync -av ./env-config/Test/ ./

Just a thought.

----
Also, are any of the web dev's interested in me pointing my QA tester at
the test site? [1]

[1]: https://github.com/sag47/chewbotkah