On Tue, Jan 8, 2019 at 8:27 PM Ryan Stark wrote:

> I appreciate that the app is free open source and developers are working for
> free but it seems they are cut off from most users.

What would you suggest to do that we don't already do?

> Virtually every feature has some kind of usability bad design

And you are welcome to report issues and propose specific changes.

> and Gimp is not as stable and reliable as it used to be

Yes, the side effect of releasing a huge amount of changes you've seen
in 2.10 is less stability.

> Most people are not going to bother going on mailing lists. There doesn't
> seem to be any decent forum that everyone uses like there is for Blender as
> in Blenderartists

There is discuss.pixls.us. It's decent and everyone (but you?) uses
it. I also regularly answer questions on Twitter, Reddit, Facebook
etc. Places that noone uses :)

> and there is no Gimp manual for the latest version.

Yes. It's being worked on by a single person. Would you be interested
to help Julien?

> Gimp appears to be a jack of all trades and master of none so there is no
> passionate community.

That is quite the opposite of what I see. Darn, I have to stop some
users from being too passionate :)

> A sign of the problems is that on Linux we have Krita and Mypaint. If Gimp's
> tools had been better for painting and manipulating things on the canvas we
> would not have needed those apps.

Krita is almost 20 years old. You might want revisiting your argument.

MyPaint's development is, sadly, on the declining side. Personally, I
hope that Briend will merge all his changes from 2017-2018 and
stimulate a new, long overdue release.

I don't think we as a community need just GIMP. I love what Martin et
al. did with MyPaint, there absolutely is enough room for applications
like MyPaint and Krita streamlined for particular demographics or use
cases.

> Most people edit photos in a RAW editors now so these more comprehensive 2D
> image editors should not be centred around just editing photos.

GIMP 2.10.x features MyPaint Brush tool, canvas rotating/flipping, and
other painting-specific things. Some features like layer group masks
are useful for a variety of use cases. Upcoming v2.10.10 is also
featuring smart colorization for painters and comic artists, as well
as a DDS plug-in for game designers.

Alex