I don't know if there's anything such as an official Development
Process, I can share how I usually do when I contribute to ASF

(1) Considering there's already an open issue (a ticket in the JIRA)
I'd download from SVN the  version to which the issue applies, I'd
write the fix, test it through unittests that come with the project
(and fix them if necessary) and create the patch (svn diff >
ISSUE.diff is the way I do) that I later attach it to the issue.

(2) If there's not open issue yet about a bug or a feature missing, if
it's trivial (such as the one you've chosen) I'd write the patch as in
(1) and open the issue describing the problem by attaching the fix. If
it's not trivial I'd open the issue and wait for some contribution to
the discussion. Learn from the other issues you find on the JIRA.

Make sure to follow CODE_CONVENTIONS file ( ;-) ).

I'm expecting the experts to give more insights about the process.

Hope this helps,

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 5:56 PM, Shaunak Kashyap <ycombina...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm a newbie to Giraph and ASF projects in general. I would like to
> help with Giraph development and think I've found the perfect JIRA to
> start: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GIRAPH-63.
> Before I make any code changes, however, I'd like to know more about
> the development process of this project. What is a good place to start
> learning about this?
> Thank you,
> Shaunak
> --
> "Now the hardness of this world slowly grinds your dreams away /
> Makin' a fool's joke out of the promises we make" --- Bruce
> Springsteen, "Blood Brothers"

    Claudio Martella