Hello list,

for GIRAPH-45 I'm touching the incoming messages and hit an
interesting problem with the combiner semantics.
currently, my code fails testBspCombiner for the following reason:

SimpleSumCombiner::compute() returns a value even if there are no
messages in the iterator (in this case it returns 0) and for this
reason the vertices get activated at each superstep.

At each superstep, under-the-hood, I pass the combiner for each vertex
an Iterable, which can be empty:

    public Iterable<M> getMessages(I vertexId) {
        Iterable<M> messages = inMessages.getMessages(vertexId);
        if (combiner != null) {
                M combinedMsg;
                try {
                        combinedMsg = combiner.combine(vertexId, messages);
                }  catch (IOException e) {
                        throw new RuntimeException("could not combine", e);
                }
                if (combinedMsg != null) {
                        List<M> tmp = new ArrayList<M>(1);
                        tmp.add(combinedMsg);
                        messages = tmp;
                } else {
                        messages = new ArrayList<M>(0);
                }
        }
        return messages;
    }

the Iterable returned by this methods is passed to
basicVertex.putMessages() right before the compute().
Now, the question is: who's wrong? The combiner code that returns a
sum of 0 over no values, or the framework that calls the combiner with
0 messages?

--
   Claudio Martella
   claudio.marte...@gmail.com