Are you +1ing the release, or just the idea of having a source release
in general?

The vote ends tomorrow, so it would be great if the committers and
mentors could take a look...


On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 2:18 PM, Avery Ching <ach...@apache.org> wrote:
> +1.
> I'm fine with this.
>
> Avery
>
>
> On 1/31/12 8:45 PM, Jakob Homan wrote:
>>>
>>> I think these concerns preclude the entire idea of a release.
>>
>> As mentioned above, we're releasing a tag (a specific svn revision).
>> That is what the release is.  Both src .tar.gz and binary files are
>> courtesies.
>>
>>> A release should be something that users can use as a dependency. . .like
>>> a maven coordinate.
>>
>> A source release in no way prevents us from creating jars of the
>> release and adding them to Apache's maven repo.  In fact, we can't add
>> a jar until we have a release.
>>
>>> I think you guys should wait until you have made these decisions
>>
>> If you would like to assist with moving away from the munging, there
>> is an open JIRA to do so.  Any effort would be appreciated.
>>
>>> To address the issues of binaries, could we release multiple binaries of
>>> Giraph that coincide with the different versions of Hadoop?
>>
>> Adding in external dependencies for a binary release (and even just
>> for a source release with jars that couldn't be brought in via
>> maven/sbt) caused significant delay recently for Kafka.  I'd like to
>> avoid that here.  Also, since we intend to release early and often,
>> there's no reason we can't follow up with a 0.2 in short order - there
>> are going to be a lot of patches in the next few weeks.
>>
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 8:17 PM, Avery Ching<ach...@apache.org>  wrote:
>>>
>>> To address the issues of binaries, could we release multiple binaries of
>>> Giraph that coincide with the different versions of Hadoop?
>>>
>>>
>>> On 1/31/12 7:44 PM, David Garcia wrote:
>>>>
>>>> I think these concerns preclude the entire idea of a release.  A release
>>>> should be something that users can use as a dependency. . .like a maven
>>>> coordinate.  I think you guys should wait until you have made these
>>>> decisions. . .and then cut a binary.
>>>>
>>>> On 1/31/12 5:36 PM, "Jakob Homan"<jgho...@gmail.com>    wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> Giraphers-
>>>>> I've created a candidate for our first release. It's a source release
>>>>> without a binary for two reasons: first, there's still discussion
>>>>> going on about what needs to be done for the NOTICE and LICENSE files
>>>>> for projects that bring in transitive dependencies to the binary
>>>>> release
>>>>>
>>>>> (http://www.mail-archive.com/general@incubator.apache.org/msg32693.html)
>>>>> and second because we're still munging our binary against three types
>>>>> of Hadoop, which would mean we'd need to release three different
>>>>> binary artifacts, which seems suboptimal.  Hopefully both of these
>>>>> issues will be addressed by 0.2.
>>>>>
>>>>> I've tested the release against an unsecure 20.2 cluster.  It'd be
>>>>> great to test it against other configurations.  Note that we're voting
>>>>> on the tag; the files are provided as a convenience.
>>>>>
>>>>> Release notes:
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> http://people.apache.org/~jghoman/giraph-0.1.0-incubating-rc0/RELEASE_NOTE
>>>>> S.html
>>>>>
>>>>> Release artifacts:
>>>>> http://people.apache.org/~jghoman/giraph-0.1.0-incubating-rc0/
>>>>>
>>>>> Corresponding svn tag:
>>>>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/giraph/tags/release-0.1-rc0/
>>>>>
>>>>> Our signing keys (my key doesn't seem to be being picked up by
>>>>> http://people.apache.org/keys/group/giraph.asc):
>>>>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/giraph/KEYS
>>>>>
>>>>> The vote runs for 72 hours, until Friday 4pm PST.  After a successful
>>>>> vote here, Incubator will vote on the release as well.
>>>>>
>>>>> Thanks,
>>>>> Jakob
>>>
>>>
>

Reply via email to