I'm not definitely familiar with the algorithm or implementation of
LinLog, I've been just a user. It should be doable with Giraph if you
can express it in terms of message-passing between vertices and
without a dependency on a global view of the graph (except for the
convergence criteria, such as total energy).

Please consider that Giraph's data model is based on a directed graph,
this should be a quite "interesting" constraint for you, if your
implementation is going to modify energy associated with edges (you'd
have two views over the undirected edge, one in each endpoint).

In general, a good way of doing community analysis would be to look at
algorithms that belong to the family of label-propagation clustering

Hope this helps,

On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 3:28 PM, Timmy Wilson <tim...@smarttypes.org> wrote:
> Hi giraph community,
> I'm interested in using giraph for distributed n-body simulation.
> Initially, i'm interested in force directed layouts -- ie, graph drawing:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Force-based_algorithms_(graph_drawing)
> I'm interested specifically in Dr. Andreas Noack's LinLog energy model
> -- which performs well w/ community detection:
> http://www.informatik.tu-cottbus.de/~an/GD/linlog.html
> I have a few examples of a serial implementation here:
> http://www.smarttypes.org/
> The model maximizes the distance between all nodes while minimizing
> the distance between connected nodes.
> Without getting into too much detail, i'm curious if anyone has
> considered using giraph for force directed graph embedding (yet
> another name for it)?
> I'm also considering something like http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/ or
> http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~scandal/alg/nbody.html -- which have fast
> n-body simulation implementations (Barnes-Hut + Fast Multipole).
> That said, i think giraph may be a good fit -- curious what the
> community thinks?
> Thanks,
> Timmy Wilson
> Cleveland, OH