I've used it on clusters I started on EC2 launched by Whirr. Simply copy
the fat
jar to your client machine and it will distribute normally as a M/R
dependency.

It works very well.

The only limitation I could potentially find (without much proof) was on VMs
with limited IO the RPC message overhead between workers could be an issue.
I never tried it on VMs with less than 'High' IO, so take that with a grain
of salt.