Hi Claudio,

I've added giraph-user@incubator.apache.org since giraph-us...@googlegroups.com is now deprecated with the move to the Apache Incubator. Thank you for your questions. I've inlined responses below.

Avery

On 9/9/11 3:16 AM, Claudio Martella wrote:
Hello,

I'm setting up my first Giraph application. The idea up to know has been to use a Text as a vertex id (basically my vertices are RDF nodes, therefore i'd like using the URIs as IDs), so I've defined MyVertex as extending Vertex<Text, IntWritable, Text, MyMessage>. In reality I'd like to avoid the IntWritable at all, as I don't really need to keep any state within the vertex, for now, but that's ok.

This is all fine until I write the VertexReader as TextVertexReader<Text, IntWritable, Text> and define the constructor as:

public GraffitiVertexReader(RecordReader<Text, Text> arg) { super(arg); }

Apparently VertexReader requires RecordReader<LongWritable, Text>. Is it mandatory to use a LongWritable?
TextVertexInputFormat uses TextInputFormat (Hadoop provided) internally. And TextInputFormat extends FileInputFormat<LongWritable, Text>. So the RecordReader will have to use the corresponding types. LongWritable has the position of the file and the Text is the line of text. If you decide to extend TextVertexInputFormat (good idea), you should look at JsonBase64VertexInputFormat as an example. Your graph types need not match the RecordReader<LongWritable, Text> types since it will be stored internally of your record reader.

So the vertex has to be a long? I don't understand the mismatch between the VertexReader constructor and the Vertex definition.

Not at all, see above =).  Let me know if it is still unclear.

Thanks!

--
    Claudio Martella
claudio.marte...@gmail.com <mailto:claudio.marte...@gmail.com>