It isn't visible (purposefully) since it is internal state.

That being said, I believe this type of functionality would be useful. Right now there is a lot of ugly static variables stored in Vertex implementations because of it. Perhaps we should add another method in GiraphJob

final public void setWorkerObjectClass(Class<? extends Configurable> workerObjectClass);

Then in BasicVertex

public void preApplication(Configurable workerObject);
public void postApplication(Configurable workerObject);
public void preSuperstep(Configurable workerObject);
public void postSuperstep(Configurable workerObject);
public Configurable getWorkerObject();

Anyone else think of a cleaner way to do it?

Avery