I could see how this is confusing. "Sent messages" is a superstep based counter. When the console prints the "giraph stats", they are for the last superstep, in that case, likely the number of sent messages is 0. If you have a long running application that sends messages, watch the job stats from the hadoop job webpage and you should see the "Sent messages" != 0 for intermediate supersteps.

Hope that helps,