Hi Deepak,

Answers inline.

Happy sunday!

Avery

On 1/22/12 11:30 AM, Deepak Nettem wrote:
Hi Folks,

I have a Graph processing problem where after each iteration, some vertices get vanished. That is, they get merged into their neighbouring nodes based on certain conditions and the graph keeps getting simplified after each iteration.

I was wondering if Giraph is worth trying for this.

Giraph can support this graph mutation at any iteration in the graph. See https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/giraph/trunk/src/main/java/org/apache/giraph/graph/MutableVertex.java, the method r emoveVertexRequest() will remove vertices for you between iterations.

I was going through the documentation and it says that the input data has to be sorted.Why is this necessary?

Ouch, this used to be a requirement, but no longer. You can load vertices however you like. The workers will forward them to the appropriate partition.

Also, how does the so called 'master' divide vertices in ranges? Does it use some kind of a range partitioner? If there is range partitioning, that's a problem for me, because of vanishing vertices - there will be load imbalance.

Again, out of date documentation. Please see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GIRAPH-11 for the relevant change. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Best,
Deepak