Hi,

I've been struggling with a similar problem and that's why i've
started working on the out-of-core message management, when the memory
shrinks. Your particular problem can get to an upper bound of
exponential space complexity, which you experience with the OOM. the
possible paths you can extract for each source vertex are about
O(d^l), where d is the average degree of the graph and l is the max
length of the extracted path (if you do shortest paths, then it's the
diameter).

Giraph is all good and fast but it's all in-memory and for this reason
it currently lacks a solution to your problem. I suggest you wait
until GIRAPH-45 is ready (I should write an email tonight about that
patch).

Hope it makes sense to you,
Claudio

--